Yes. Scene photographs and/or postmortem examination photographs may be released upon presentation of a legal ‘next-of-kin’ letter, which must contain all of the following elements to be considered valid:
1. The decedent’s full name and date of death;
2. The next-of-kin's full name, address and contact information;
3. A statement indicating the requestor is the nearest legal next-of-kin and providing his/her relationship to the decedent;
4. The specific information the requestor is seeking (e.g., all autopsy photographs);
5. The address the photos should be mailed to;
6. The requestor's notarized signature affixed to the same letter. All of the above, along with the notary signature, stamp and date signed, must be attached to one page;
7. A copy of the requestor's driver license.
Please mail in the original notarized letter (copies will not be accepted), along with a check to complete your request.
Checks should be made payable to: Tarrant Co. Medical Examiner's Office. Tax ID# is 756001170. The request and check can be mailed to:
Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office
Attn: Lisa Garcia Nunez
200 Feliks Gwozdz Place
Fort Worth, TX 76104-4919
Once the letter and payment have been received, the request will be processed upon its completion.
Non-family members can make a request for the scene and autopsy photographs upon presentation of a properly executed and notarized letter from the legal next-of-kin. All requests received from either family or non-family members will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
In either instance, there is a cost associated with reproducing the photographic materials; the current fee is listed on the annual fee schedule viewable via this link: Fee Schedule. Payment must be made via an enclosed cashier’s check, money order or firm check (if attorney), made payable to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office, as listed above.
For further questions regarding this topic, please contact the Custodian of Records at 817-920-5700, extension 8336.
County Telephone Operator 817-884-1111
Tarrant County provides the information contained in this web site as a public service. Every effort is made to ensure that information provided is correct. However, in any case where legal reliance on information contained in these pages is required, the official records of Tarrant County should be consulted. Tarrant County is not responsible for the content of, nor endorses any site which has a link from the Tarrant County web site.
This site is best experienced with supported browsers: Internet Explorer 9 and above, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari. If you use an older or unsupported browser, you might notice that some features do not function properly. Click the browser name above to learn more about the recommended browsers.