A program designed for 5th grade students in Tarrant County. This program offers four free, interactive sessions and a two- to three-month follow-up evaluation to identify changes in daily nutrition and physical activity behaviors. The students will maintain a nutrition/physical activity journal during the duration of the lessons to reflect on class activities and daily behaviors.
The outline for the program lessons are as follows:
Lesson 1: THE FOODS WE EAT
• Importance of healthy foods, nutrients in foods, understanding calories, and choosemyplate.gov food groups
Lesson 2: FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
• Color groups of fruits and vegetables, importance of variety, five-a-day, serving sizes
Lesson 3: FAST FOOD AND SNACK FOOD
• Defining "fast food," healthier selections when eating "fast food," balancing food choices, reading food labels, snacking healthy
Lesson 4: PHYSICAL ACTIVITY, HEART HEALTH & DIABETES
• Understanding what physical activity is, different types of aerobic activity, relationship between physical activity and prevention of chronic diseases.
• Survey conducted two to three months after program completion to measure what information the students remember from the lessons. The folllow up evaluation also measures lifestyle and behavior changes.
County Telephone Operator 817-884-1111
Tarrant County provides the information contained in this web site as a public service. Every effort is made to ensure that information provided is correct. However, in any case where legal reliance on information contained in these pages is required, the official records of Tarrant County should be consulted. Tarrant County is not responsible for the content of, nor endorses any site which has a link from the Tarrant County web site.
This site is best experienced with supported browsers: Internet Explorer 9 and above, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari. If you use an older or unsupported browser, you might notice that some features do not function properly. Click the browser name above to learn more about the recommended browsers.