Online Services Government
  • Departments
  • Commissioners Court
  • Elected Officials
  • Courts
  • Justice of the Peace Courts
  • Constables
  • Residents Visitors Business Employment

    How do I........ ? (taxes and registrations)


    ...apply for homestead exemptions?

    Call the Tarrant Appraisal District at 817-284-0024.

    For more information, please visit the Tarrant County Appraisal District web site.


    ...find out what exemptions are there?

    A homestead exemption is available to any homeowner who qualifies. An exemption is also available for those who are age 65 or older. Others who qualify for an exemption are homeowners with disabilities, disabled veterans or the survivors of disabled veterans or veterans who were killed while on active duty.


    ...get a car license tag renewal or a car title?

    These items can be obtained at any Tax Assessor-Collector's Office location in Tarrant County. Call 817-884-1100 for the nearest location. Car tag renewals can also be obtained at participating supermarkets.


    ...get a driver's license or license renewal card?

    Applications for new driver's license and renewal of a driver's license are the responsibility of the Texas Department of Public Safety. For the location nearest you, call 817-294-1075.


    ...qualify for a tax exemption and when may I file?

    You must file for a tax exemption between January 1 through April 30, 2000. In order to qualify for a tax exemption you must have owned your home on January 1, 1999. If you are claiming a 65 and over exemption, the home must be your principal residence on January 1.


    ..find out how much the exemptions are?

    Across the state, a homestead exemption takes $15,000 off the value of your home when school taxes are assessed. The age 65 or older and disability exemptions each take an additional $10,000 off school taxes - but only one of these exemptions may be applied at one time. The exemption for disabled veterans or survivors ranges from $5,000 to $12,000, depending on the extent of the disability. It is different from a disabled homeowner's exemption. Cities and other taxing entities may offer additional exemptions.